The Kaukauna Area School District values and respects the diverse makeup of the schools and the surrounding communities. It recognizes that everyone has roots in at least one cultural group and that society reflects a wide diversity of cultures. Acceptance of this cultural diversity is a strength of the Kaukauna Area School District community. For purposes of this policy, “multicultural” refers to the following: race, religion, ethnicity, gender, handicapping condition(s) and sexual orientation.
The Kaukauna Area School District has a commitment to pursue a learning and working environment in which differences are recognized and respected. These differences must not be the basis of discrimination against anyone participating in Board-sponsored activities.
The school district shall foster an environment where students, school, personnel, and other community members work together to create understanding, appreciation, respect and concern for all human beings. The students shall be provided experiences enabling them to:
- Develop a desire to contribute to the well-being of a diverse society.
- Understand and appreciate the value systems, cultures, customs, and history of their heritage as well as understand the value systems, cultures, customs and history of others.
- Learn to recognize and respect the rights and responsibilities of themselves and others.
- Develop a respect for others’ abilities and efforts.
- Develop an ability to form satisfying and responsible relationships with a wide variety of people.
- Utilize a variety of human relations skills to foster communication and manage conflicts.