Safety continues to be a priority in the Kaukauna Area School District. As we launch the start of the 2013-14 school year, we are excited to add secure entrances, equipped with cameras and an intercom system to gain entrance to the school. The intent of this added security measure is to provide a systematic approach to knowing who is entering our building. We recognize that this new system will take some patience and adjustments for everyone, both from the school and from visitors. In an effort to assist in the transition, we want to provide you with some basic information when you visit our school:
- Our school office will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. During these hours, school personnel will be available to provide visitors access to the building. This means, that visitors will not be able to enter before 7:30 a.m.
- There is an intercom at the main entrance of our school. When you approach:
- Simply press the doorbell and then when greeted, you will be asked to share your name and the reason for your visit
- The office will provide you access and remind you to come directly to the office to sign in and get a name tag if you will be visiting a classroom
- If you are picking up a child during the school day, the same procedures currently in place will continue where office staff will call students from the classroom to the office for pick up
- If your child is late for school or will be returning from an appointment during the school day, the adult should continue to bring the child into the office and sign them in
- Breakfast is served beginning at 7:35 a.m. Supervision also begins at this time. An adult supervising will greet students when it is time to enter school, and provide them safe access
- Classroom teachers will assist in familiarizing students with this new system and practice at the start of school
- All students should continue to be dropped off and proceed directly to the playground. This provides all of our students with supervision. If your child needs to bring something into school that cannot go out on the playground, they should speak with a supervisor on the playground or be escorted by an adult through the main entrance, and then proceed back to the playground until the bell rings and all students enter school
- At 4:00 p.m. upon the closing of the office, the main entrance will be opened for access to after-hours activities and pick up from childcare
This process will be followed for all who enter the building during the school day, whether you are a frequent volunteer or typically do not visit during regular school hours. We appreciate your support, understanding and patience with this new layer of school security. The intent is not to prevent access, but rather to provide school personnel with the knowledge of who is entering the building.